Friday, May 30, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (AIP)



In some ways, this detox has forced me to re-think a lot of what I do in the kitchen. I consider myself to be pretty resourceful in the kitchen.  Take away an ingredient and I’m usually able to find a suitable substitution.  No gluten? I’ll replace flour with a gluten free version. No grains at all? I’ll use a nut flour. No sugar? Find a more natural sweetener (never the artificial stuff). No dairy? there are plenty of alternative milks available. No eggs? I’ll use pumpkin puree or applesauce or a banana or flax seed. But take grains, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds, AND sugar? I might be a little stumped to concoct a dessert. It isn’t impossible--my creativity just must be stretched even further.


I have had to think outside of traditional “baked goods” and move more into the category of frozen desserts & custards that can be made with coconut milk and without eggs & fruity desserts--things that more heavily rely on the refrigerator/freezer and the stove top. The longer I go without sugar, the less my body craves it & the more my tastebuds recognize the tiniest bit of sweetness from fruit.


When it comes to rhubarb, I’m quite often a purist. The rhubarb pie and rhubarb sauce I grew up eating didn’t fall into the strawberry rhubarb category. When I found organic rhubarb in the store, I really wanted to create a rhubarb dessert that is friendly to my detox guidelines, however, since rhubarb is seriously tart, a sugar free just rhubarb dessert was not going to be successful (i.e. edible).


Ripe strawberries have an excellent naturally sweet flavor & they do pair well with rhubarb.  Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice makes up the remaining sweetness.  I combined the three ingredients, cooked them together until the fruit broke down, much of the liquid evaporated & the flavors intensified.


The amounts I give in the recipe are more like guidelines--there isn’t as much science to this recipe as there is to a cake. I use roughly 1 part sliced rhubarb to 2 parts hulled very ripe strawberries to 1 part unfiltered apple juice, but it can certainly be adapted to personal preferences. Do note that this compote will (most likely) taste tart to someone who is eating sugar on a daily basis...


On a more everyday basis, I spoon compote over some unsweetened coconut yogurt, but as a treat, it’s also a great topping to coconut ice cream.


Strawberry Rhubarb compote 

3.4 oz Organic Rhubarb, sliced
6.75 oz Organic Strawberries, sliced
4 oz Organic unfiltered Apple Juice, plus more if necessary

  1. Combine in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat for 35 minutes min. Stir occasionally, but increase stirring amount towards the end of cooking. 
  2. Remove from heat & taste a small amount. If the compote isn’t sweet enough, add a couple more oz of apple juice. Cook until the liquid has reduced, stirring occasionally. 
  3. Remove the pan from the heat & transfer the compote to a separate container. Cool completely. 
  4. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. 
  5. To serve, spoon over coconut yogurt or coconut ice cream. 

2 comments:

  1. All my family members and I loves Strawberry and strawberry desserts. It is nice to have Strawberry Rhubarb compote which looking yummy. Kids really like it. Thanks for the recipe.

    Regard
    Lucas Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. For skincare enthusiasts, 111skin coupon are a great way of getting luxury skincare products at low prices. 111SKIN is known for its innovative formulations and high-performance solutions that result in an array of skincare essentials made from premium ingredients and advanced technology. People might use these to access different types of skin care which include serums, masks, moisturizers etc., and be able to enjoy premium skin care experience without the need to pay a fortune.

    ReplyDelete