Saturday, January 19, 2013

Waffle Weekend: Banana Waffles




Some weekends, I have a pre-determined game plan for making brunch. Other weekends, I kind of wing it.  Most often our plans include waffles, of course :)  This past Saturday was one of those “wing-it” sort of weekends. I awoke knowing I wanted to make something waffle-y, but without any other clear direction.


I started a pot of coffee (in our new French press!) and began opening browsing the cabinets, refrigerator, freezer and counters. We had staple ingredients, like eggs and milk and maple syrup and butter.  But I didn’t want to make just “plain” waffles--too boring.


My eyes settled on the one-and-a-half bananas sitting on the counter.  They were very yellow and had begun to develop brown spots--two indications that they were no longer suitable to be eaten (yuck, I hate overripe bananas!).  But the bananas did seem perfect to add to a small batch of waffle batter.


Banana Waffles
Yields approximately 6 to 8 waffles

1 Tbl Brown Sugar
1 whole Egg
3 Tbl Vegetable Oil, plus additional for the waffle iron
1.5 whole Bananas, very ripe
1 c Milk
1 1/3 c Gluten Free Bisquick Mix (I was a little short, so I used 1 c (120 g) of Mix and added 1/3 c GF flour mix plus 1 tsp Baking Powder)

For Serving
Butter
Maple Syrup
Additional banana (optional) 


  1.  Preheat the waffle iron.  In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg and oil.  
  2. In a separate small bowl, mash the banana, either with a fork or your fingers.  Stir the milk into the mashed banana to combine the two.  Then, and to the egg mixture. 
  3. Whisk in the Bisquick mix. 
  4. Grease the preheated iron & portion the banana batter. Cook on the medium to medium high setting until the waffles are done.  
  5. Serve with butter, maple syrup & some additional banana slices (if you have any).  

1 comment:

  1. I love this. The overflowing maple syrup is enticing me to eat it.=)

    ReplyDelete