Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bittersweet.

I've had a couple more France posts in the works, but as you can see, I haven't exactly posted them yet....   Life seems to have gotten in the way.  And life hasn't exactly been kind lately.....  In fact, it's been quite bittersweet.

I struggle with how much to reveal, but things haven't been easy.....

I like having all my "ducks in a row"....  knowing what's coming....  having stability....  succeeding at what I do.  All these  options seem to have flown to the wind lately. The future is even more crazy unknown.  And I'm failing miserably.




Every situation happens for a reason, but finding that reason can be quite painful.  


Recently, through the "explore" option on my Google Reader, I've discovered the blog "things we forget" and have found some consolation.   

"Don't let success go to your head or failure to go to your heart" #513



"Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do" #519



Yes, the future is unknown.  Yes, discovering you aren't good at something (and are, in fact, terrible) isn't fun.  Yes, the next months will be much more difficult than I thought they would be.

But there will still be learning experiences. There will still be good times.

Bittersweet.  It's how I've been feeling.  


So, with some free time this afternoon, I decided to make scones.  Bittersweet Chocolate & Cherry Scones, to be exact.   Things may not be going as smoothly in my life as I wish, but I can still make scones!


I love the sweet flavor of cherries.... I've been eating tons of them lately!  They provide not just sweetness, but lovely color to the scones.  And the dark chocolate chunks provide a slight bite and are chocolaty without being overwhelmingly sweet.




Then, I couldn't just leave them plain and naked.  I had to glaze them :)  Confectioners sugar with a little Kirschwasser (additional cherry flavor) and a splash of almond milk.  Mmmmm!

So, whether or not you've been feeling slightly bittersweet, or perhaps life is a little sweeter these days, think about making these scones.  Cherry season doesn't last long! 



Bittersweet Chocolate & Cherry Scones
yields approximately 16 scones

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 stick (1/4 lb) Unsalted Butter, cold
3/4 c Buttermilk, cold
splash of almond extract
125 g. chocolate chunks (use chocolate bars, not chips.  I used part 70% dark and part 85% dark chocolate) 
160 g. Fresh cherries, pitted and quartered 

Instructions:
1.  Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into small pieces.  Then, place the grated butter into the freezer to chill approximately 30 minutes. 

2.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

3.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Add the frozen butter and rub together with your hands until it forms a crumbly mixture.  Do not work too much or else the butter will melt. 

4.  Add the almond extract to the buttermilk.  Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture.  Mix by hand.  Additional splash of buttermilk may be added if the dough is dry.  When the mixture is nearly combined, add the chocolate and the cherries and mix only until combined. 

5.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Using a large scoop, portion dough into mounds on the sheet pans.  Let the dough rest 20 minutes.  

6.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  

7.  Allow to cool and glaze (recipe follows) if desired.  Enjoy! 

Cherry Almond Glaze
Ingredients
Confectioners sugar
Kirschwasser (cherry brandy)
Almond Milk

Instructions
1.  Whisk a splash of Kirshwasser and Almond Milk into the confectioner's sugar until it forms a thin glaze.  Add additional liquid or confectioners sugar until the desired consistency is reached. 

2.  Dip scones into the glaze or pour over the top.  

1 comment:

  1. Call me! I'm eating scones (virtually) with you this afternoon while I'm studying for my French test. Didn't I just do this??! Deja vu... hmm...

    Love you! bisous grases

    ReplyDelete